How NMI Came To Be

  1. Home
  2. News
  3. How NMI Came To Be

Before my girls were born and even after they were born, I worked a bit for my MIL. With my husband’s job, moving so often, having any sort of non-flexible, easy to manage my own schedule, or being able to pack and leave at any moment, really wasn’t an option. My MIL was kind enough to give me the opportunity to do the back office, recruiting, marketing, and branding for her IT Firm. It was a great opportunity and it kept me busy while living wherever I was! Wearing all different hats really gave me so much insight in so many different departments, some that I use in my business today. I’m forever thankful for her letting me learn, grow and be inspired by running a business like she does!

After taking a break after the second baby arrived, I was definitely overwhelmed with a newborn and a one-year-old! Oh, and my husband’s job moved us 3,000 miles away just 6 weeks after Scarlett (my second) was born! So, I took a year – or “season” – to catch my barring’s! That season ended with us going home because of Covid and, unfortunately, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic melanoma. I spent the next 5 months soaking up every minute with my mom. She passed peacefully just 5 months after her diagnosis and to say it was gut retching would be an understatement. I always say it changed who I was as a person and how I live my day-to-day life. It made me realize life is so so short, and if you want to go do something, DO IT!

Without this being the most long-winded blog post of all time. To tie, in where I started, where I am now (and why)…everything I have discussed so far has been such a big part. The following “season” heading out to Vancouver. My husband, kiddos and dogs all jumped on a plane to move back. The kids were “iPad-ing” and him and I had a chance to chat.

At the time, we had just built our beautiful home in Pitt. Through the process I raved about how much I loved designing it and how much joy it brought me, in probably the darkest time. This then led to my husband suggesting “what if you did it for a living, like make a business?” We left it at that, and got settled in for the hockey season. Not being able to go anywhere during our stint in Vancouver due to Covid, I chatted with as many interior designers as I could get a hold of and asked them basically how they got started and what it looks like for them.

After chatting with everyone, I started a course online (, got about half way through and decided to put up a “if you want a room designed” and got 13 people in my DM’s right away! It was so fun and taught me a lot! From there, I was branded by July and launched by October publicly!

Sometimes I have to pinch myself that I get to do something everyday that brings me so much joy. If you would’ve told me graduating high school that this is what I was going to do for a living, I would be confused.

I’m thankful every day for the opportunities I get and the wonderful people I get to work with. I have learned so much and look forward to doing this every “job” every morning.